Monday, March 16, 2009

Characteristic of my ideal husband

My daughter wonders ....

In my definite opinion, the qualities of an honorable man are sincere honesty, virtue, and modesty. Honesty is important to me because in a long-term relationship it is the foundation of trust. Virtue is important to me because it reflects my ideal husband's inner being. Modesty is an important characteristic because it portrays a selfless attitude in a long-term relationship.
It is important that my ideal husband be honest with me in not only his feelings, but also in his actions, and his work ethic. Being disgruntled in a situation and not sharing his true feelings with me is not being honest. When someone is not honest with his or her feelings it may lead to bitterness. Over time bitterness may lead to a weakened relationship. My idea of an honest action is illustrated by the following example. When my ideal husband tells me he is going to his grandmother's house to visit and in reality visits a few friends he has broken my trust. I would rather he tells me he is also going to visit his friends. By not telling me he wants to visit his friends, it makes me question how I can trust him with bigger issues. A man who is punctual and makes an honest attempt to work hard for his employer is more likely to demonstrate these honest qualities at home.
To me, virtue consists of bravery, loyalty, and constantly striving for good. An ideal husband would show me his bravery by admitting he was wrong when appropriate, and then taking action to correct what was done or said. A loyal husband would put my and my children's essential needs first. My ideal husband would never consider adultery. Striving for good means striving for God's heart and following after Jesus. He would regularly attend bible studies and serve with us in our local community.
A modest husband would have a humble attitude with reference to money management, the purchase of possessions, and his mannerisms. With his money he would not brag about how much he earns or how much he spends. When a man boasts about his financial affairs he is likely to make enemies, and that does not demonstrate humility. Flaunting extravagant possessions shows little respect for those less fortunate. To illustrate, when serving in a soup kitchen it would be demeaning to those being served to brag about his gold watch or recent vacation.
My ideal husband's mannerisms would demonstrate respect for me. For example, when accompanied by my husband a beautiful woman passes us. I would expect him not to look at her with lustful eyes.
For me, marriage is an everlasting commitment. To have an honorable man as a loving husband assures me of this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment